If you’re thinking about cleaning up your act and switching over to natural deodorant, we know the best way to make the transition as smooth as possible. It’s called an armpit detox and it helps to speed up the adjustment period, making natural deodorant a habit you’ll keep for a lifetime.
While an armpit detox can help speed up the adjustment period you experience when switching to a natural deodorant, it's also a great way to rid your underarms of the chemicals that they've been exposed to through the years. Let’s take a minute to consider something: most big name brand deodorants and antiperspirants contain a laundry list of chemicals and other toxic ingredients, doing everything from blocking the body’s natural ability to sweat to making our underarms smell like “arctic ice” or “sweet strawberry”. Commercial deodorants have toxic ingredients in them such as…
- Aluminum: An ingredient linked to cancer and Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Dyes: Nope, those bright red and neon blue colors are definitely not natural!
- Parabens: A synthetic preservative linked to many types of cancer.
- Alcohols: A drying agent that can often time be related to sensitive underarms.
- Propylene glycol: An ingredient found in many mass-produced skincare products (that’s also found in antifreeze.)
… And the list could go on. But why does this matter? With the skin being the body’s largest organ, everything that touches it is able to directly enter our bloodstream. And when these ingredients are absorbing into the skin in your underarms, they’re also absorbing into our bodies right where a collection of lymph nodes are at. Scattered around the body, lymph nodes are glands that are one of the most important parts of our immune system, helping to defend our bodies against disease. So why not try our best to avoid these chemicals and cut any of the presumed health risks out of the picture? Plus, with so many other healthy alternatives on the market, such as natural deodorant, it’s never been easier (or more affordable) to invest in our health. Natural deodorant truly is the latest trend that's here to stay.
The Adjustment Period When Switching to Natural Deodorant
If you are just switching to natural deodorant, your body may need 1-3 weeks to adjust. But if you've been using antiperspirants your whole life, it could take a bit longer as the sweat glands in your underarms are going to go through quite the adjustment. Adjusting is different for everyone, but going through an armpit detox has never been easier, and you probably have most of the ingredients you need for a detox already lying around your kitchen.
Armpit Detox Recipe and Instructions
An armpit detox can help speed up the adjustment period you experience when switching to a natural deodorant. It's a great way to help rid your underarms of the chemicals that they've been exposed to when using chemical-ridden deodorants and can make switching to natural deodorant super easy with a much quicker adjustment period. Folks who’ve tried an underarm detox for themselves have reported the following benefits:
- Their underarms had less odor, even when they didn’t apply deodorant afterward.
- When people tried an underarm detox before making the full switch to natural deodorant, they didn’t experience a rash or irritation.
Alright, now let’s get into the detox! Here’s what you'll need:
- 1 Tablespoon of bentonite clay
- 1 Teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 Teaspoons of water
- And a bowl for mixing
- Combine all of the ingredients together in the mixing bowl until they make a smooth paste. Set the mixture aside.
Gently wash your underarms using a mild, all-natural soap and then dry the skin using a clean towel.
- Using your fingers, apply an even layer of the paste mixture to your underarms and let sit for 5-20 minutes. Note that for some folks with really sensitive skin, you may experience temporary redness around your underarms as this will increase blood flow to the area.
- After 5-20 minutes, wash off the mixture at the sink or in the shower using a warm, wet washcloth.
- Repeat daily or as needed until underarm odor goes away and applying the natural deodorant isn’t irritating to the skin.
Voila! But remember: adjusting is different for everyone, so head over to our Switching to Natural Deodorant page to learn more ideas for making the switch to natural deodorant as easy as possible!
Back to You
After reading this, are you planning to detox your armpits? Or were you able to make the switch to natural deodorant with ease? Comment below! And if you’re in the market for a natural deodorant that’s aluminum free, 100% natural, and even formulated for sensitive skin, then check out our entire collection of natural deodorant!