What Is the Best Soap for Psoriasis?
Not all soaps are equal. Would you want to wash with soap made from GMO oils, harsh chemicals, synthetic detergents, dyes, fragrances and other ingredients? Sadly, this is what most soaps are made of.
Washing with soap made from all-natural ingredients can be A HUGE HELP to alleviate psoriasis symptoms and offer relief the natural way. While this condition is not able to be “cured” from the outside, our natural soaps and other natural skin care products can do much to help - maybe even eliminating the symptoms all together!*
As your body’s largest organ, the skin is capable of soaking chemicals (toxins) right into your bloodstream. Does this scare anyone else??
That’s why it’s important to be careful what you put on your skin, including what you use to wash it! Many ingredients used in other soaps and skin care products have been linked to horrible conditions like Alzheimer's, cancers, and other diseases. Avoiding these ingredients is crucial!
Here’s a rundown of ingredients we prefer to avoid:
- GMO oils: corn, soybean, and those labeled “vegetable” oils (which are most likely corn or soy)
- Parabens: used in lotions/creams, preservatives that have been linked to cancers
- Phthalates: used in fragrances/lotions, preservatives that have been linked to cancers
- Aluminum: used in deodorants, has been linked to alzheimers
- Dyes: synthetic components made from who-knows-what, linked to all sorts of issues
- Alcohols: drying ingredients
Here are some quick questions to ask when reading labels and choosing the best soap and skin care for psoriasis:
- Can you read and understand the ingredients?
- Are fragrances listed (i.e. chemicals and toxins!)?
- Are GMO ingredients listed? You can’t always recognize GMO ingredients (and they are most-definitely not labeled GMO)
It may be time to look for all-natural options that replenish your skin instead of causing further damage. After all, these “good” ingredients will also potentially be absorbed into your skin. But first, let’s dive deeper into the mystery of psoriasis and current treatments.
What Is Psoriasis?
While the exact cause of psoriasis is unknown, it is assumed to be an immune system problem often triggered by stress, cold, or infections. There might also be digestive relations. Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition that may last for years or could be a lifelong condition.
Common symptoms of psoriasis include:
- Pain and stiffness in joints
- Rashes and redness
- Dry, flaky, peeling skin
- Inflamed tendons
Psoriasis is also a condition where the skin’s natural process of exfoliation has been altered or damaged, causing these dry, itchy patches to exist on the skin. While a cure for psoriasis is currently unknown, treatments and natural remedies may help offer relief.
Common Treatments and Self-Care for Psoriasis
Common medical treatments include:
- Medications prescribed by your doctor (often taken orally or by injection)
- Phototherapy or light therapy where the skin is exposed to ultraviolet lights under medical supervision
- Topical treatments applied to the skin that are purchased over the counter or by prescription
Self-care can sometimes be the best care to help keep psoriasis symptoms under control. The following self-care methods may help bring relief.
- Apply moisturizers to hydrate and protect the skin
- Use a thick, topical cream to moisturize
- Coal tar extract soothes itching skin
- Wash with all-natural, moisturizing soaps that don’t strip your skin of hydrating oils
- Manage stress by pursuing enjoyable activities and improving mental health
Relieving Psoriasis Symptoms with Goat’s Milk Soap
The healing properties in goat milk soap have wonderful results and have become one of the BEST and most effective options for self-care. Not all “goat milk soaps” are created equal either, so make sure you still follow the “label-reading guidelines” for choosing the best goat milk soap for your skin. Remember to avoid soaps made with goat milk powder, goat milk extracts, from goat milk bases, or other inferior ways of “adding” goat milk to skin care. Choose only those made with fresh goat milk and quality oils, with no additives.
Goat milk soap does a few fabulous things for the skin! First, it is KEY to helping the body exfoliate dead skin cells! The enzymes in fresh goat milk itself help to break down connectors between cells, allowing dead skin cells to be sloughed away. When this happens, the rough, itchy patches can be worked on, and softer skin may appear.
Secondly, it helps to create a barrier that protects your skin from dryness. Coconut, Olive and Red Palm Oils, which are high in vitamin E and other antioxidants, offer the skin those natural protective nutrients. In addition, natural vitamins, minerals, and moisturizers in these oils and the fresh goat’s milk help to feed the skin, and get nutrients IN.
We recommend the following options for helping with psoriasis:
- Remove all toxic shampoos, body washes, shaving creams, soaps, bubble baths, or other additives from the shower/bath that might be causing irritation.
Take a long bath using our goat milk bath soaks. When washing and frequent exposure to water is said to dry the skin out typically, it would seem that soaking with our Milk Bath, as often as you can, actually proves quite helpful.
Use an exfoliating accessory or two to help remove the dead skin cells. After soaking for only 5-10 minutes, dead skin cells can even be sloughed off with the hand or fingernail.
- Wash regularly with our Goat Milk Soap. This soap can also be used as shampoo for hair. When placed in a loofah pouch, it lathers and replaces any body wash or shaving cream.
- For extra exfoliation and hydration, use our all-natural Sugar Scrubs on face and body.
After bathing or showering, use our all-natural Goat’s Milk Lotion on face and body to seal in the moisture and apply as needed throughout the day. This lotion contains ZERO alcohols, so you can avoid any typical “burning sensation” that often happens with other lotions.
- Bend Soap Lip Butters offer wonderful protection and hydration for the lips as well.
- And our Natural Deodorants really work and provide another natural alternative for your skin!
When you choose Bend Soap Company all-natural skin products, you’re keeping harsh chemicals from entering your bloodstream through your skin, naturally exfoliating, and maintaining healthy oils that keep your skin naturally moisturized and protected.
While goat’s milk soap or goat’s milk lotion isn’t a cure for psoriasis, your skin will notice a difference. Take care of your skin the natural way with products that encourage healthy, vibrant skin.
Ready to see for yourself? Try our natural goat’s milk soaps and lotions today and join the hundreds that rave about our products and have found the relief they have been looking for.
*Bend Soap Company makes no claims to cure or treat any skin condition.