Have you read the ingredients on commercial soap packages? If so, you probably noticed a bunch of ingredients you can barely pronounce, let alone understand. Your skin is your largest organ so it’s important to take care of it. Why? Because what you put on your skin is directly absorbed into your body.
So what are you really putting on your skin with commercial soaps? The answer may surprise you.
Regular Commercial Soap Ingredients
Commercial soaps are mass produced and often contain harmful chemicals and detergents that are really not very “clean” after all. Instead of cleaning your body, they end up doing more harm than good.
The following are just a few harmful ingredients you'll find in most commercial soaps:
- Artificial Dyes: Commercial soaps are often laden with artificial dyes and artificial colors which have been known to cause health issues. Yellow No. 6, Red No.3, Blue No. 2. and several other dyes alone have been linked to a variety cancers and conditions. Sure, it makes the end product look pretty, but at what cost to your body?
- Artificial Perfumes: Though artificial scents may smell nice, they can be linked to hormonal issues and allergies. Synthetic perfumes and fragrances have ingredients in them that may cause skin irritations or aggravate current skin issues such as acne.
- Parabens: These are harmful chemical preservatives often found in commercial soaps and beauty products to prevent the growth of microbes. They are absorbed through your skin, blood, and digestive system and are known to disrupt hormones.
- Petrochemicals: These chemicals are made from petroleum. They should be considered unsafe for use on skin because little is known about the long-term effects they have on our health. Synthetic Vitamin E is often manufactured from petroleum and included in many skin care products.
- Phthalates: This additive is known to cause cancer and is often used in synthetic fragrances.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: Used to degrease engines and clean garage floors, this chemical is added to soap to dissolve oils on your skin. It is also added to help the soap or shampoo create a rich lather. Yet, despite all of this, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate has known side effects that are harmful to our bodies, not to mention that it is also recognized as being a drying, irritative agent when used on the skin.
These are just a few examples, but understanding the chemicals in soaps may make you think twice about what you’re putting on your skin.
The Ingredients in our Goat Milk Soap
The best part about the label on our bars of Goat Milk Soap? You can read every single ingredient!
The ingredients in our bars of Goat Milk Soap are natural, good for your skin, and so delicious you may think you can eat it (though we wouldn’t recommend it!). Each ingredient benefits the skin and body, instead of harming it.
Each bar has four main ingredients:
Fresh Goat's Milk: This is the key ingredient and it’s right from the source! Each bar contains over 26% farm fresh goat's milk (not pasteurized, powdered goat milk). This ingredient is a natural moisturizer, reduces inflammation, helps acne, is a natural exfoliator, and so much more. Plus, we use milk from our very own herd of goats for maximum quality assurance. You can learn more about our goats and how they are treated here on the farm by clicking here.
Coconut Oil: Another excellent moisturizer for skin, coconut oil is naturally antibacterial, antifungal, and prevents premature aging and wrinkles. It's also loaded with vitamins and minerals that help feed the skin and keep it nourished.
Olive Oil: Known by some as the sweet nectar of the Mediterranean, olive oil soothes and nourishes the skin. It doesn’t clog pores but instead enhances exfoliation for fresh, more youthful looking skin.
- Red Palm Oil: This wonderful oil from the fruit of the red palm tree is loaded with tocotrienols from the Vitamin E family. They’re proven to prevent aging and damage from free radicals. They work by penetrating deep into your skin’s layers for healing and protection from the inside out.
Other ingredients include:
Lye (Sodium Hydroxide): This ingredient is necessary for the soap making process as it turns these wonderful the oils and milk into soap and glycerin. It completely dissipates and neutralizes with the milk and oils. When the soap is finished curing, zero traces of lye can be found.
- Essential Oils: 100% pure plant-extracted oils with tantalizing fresh scents. Each essential oil also comes with its own set of natural benefits.
Toss the chemical laden commercial soaps and replace with pure goat milk soap for you and your family. Your skin will thank you!