Sensitive Skin Care
Caring for Sensitive Skin
Is your skin super sensitive? Does it break out in acne or a rash when you use “trusted name brand” soaps or beauty products? Do you feel like even essential oils can irritate your skin?
While some people may be genetically prone to having sensitive skin, we’ve learned that many of the harsh chemicals hidden in commercial soaps and skin care products can lead to sensitive skin related issues, even for those who are not naturally prone to sensitive skin! If this is true for you, you’ll be happy to know that our 100% natural soaps and skin care products are often the best solutions to moisturize and replenish sensitive skin without painful irritation. Many of our products are also essential oil free, making them safe, and suitable for ALL skin types.
Symptoms of Sensitive Skin
Symptoms are often aggravated by the products we put on our skin. If you have sensitive skin, you may experience some or all of the following reactions:
- Acne / rashes
- Redness (blushing and flushing)
- Dryness (which you can learn more about here)
- Bumpy skin
What Causes Sensitive Skin?
Sensitive skin can be caused by some things we can control, and other things we can’t. And while you may have your parent’s to thank for sensitive skin, here are a few other causes that may be the culprit.
Skin Conditions: Skin conditions, disorders, and allergic reactions (such as eczema, rosacea, psoriasis, and dermatitis, to name a few) are major causes of having sensitive skin. Many people are often surprised to find out that they are allergic to ingredients like baking soda and even the highest grade essential oils.
- Dry & Damaged Skin: Overly dry or damaged skin that can no longer protect the nerve endings. If you don’t keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of water, your skin will act as a constant reminder with it’s dry, irritated, lackluster appearance.
- Artificial & Synthetic Fragrance: Synthetic fragrances are a common trigger for skin irritation. These are often laden with phthalates and can cause skin rashes and even headaches, coughing, and other respiratory irritation.
- Harsh Environments: Exposure to harsh environmental elements such as sun, wind, and excessive heat or cold can result in sensitive skin, too. Enjoying too many hot, steamy showers can also be damaging to your skin, stripping it of its natural oils and drying it out.
- Household Cleaners: Sensitive skin can often be a reaction to the harsh and toxic chemicals found in many commercial cleaning products and laundry detergents.
- Sulfates: These harsh chemicals, which are added to many soaps to allow them to lather and create bubbles, remove natural oils from your skin which often leads to dryness and skin irritation.
- Commercial Skincare Products: Many of the name brand skin care companies have learned that it’s far cheaper for them to use chemical alternatives when making their products to create larger profit margins. While they may be marketed as products that are designed to moisturize, nourish, and heal the skin, a proper understanding of the laundry list of ingredients on the label will prove otherwise. Here are a few commonly used chemicals that we have learned to look for and avoid:
- Salicylic Acid: A common chemical used to treat acne and oily skin. This causes dryness, skin irritation, redness, or burning if overused.
- Parabens: These chemicals can enter your bloodstream and be mistaken by your body for estrogen. Extra estrogen in your body can lead to acne, fat storage, decreased muscle mass and even reproductive difficulties. Needless to say, it’s an ingredient to avoid!
Because the skin is your largest organ and absorbs toxins directly into your bloodstream, products with any of the chemicals listed above can cause the body to react in many ways. The consistent use of products containing the above toxic ingredients can even lead to bigger problems such as cancers, hormonal disruptions, diseases, and other issues. Even if you don’t experience such extreme consequences, it’s very common for your skin to show the effect of these harmful chemicals through reactions, such as developing skin conditions related to poor health of the skin.
Choosing the Right Products for Sensitive Skin
So, what products can you use on sensitive skin? Some name brands may offer sensitive skin care products, but even these can contain chemicals that we believe are better to avoid. Here at Bend Soap Company, we’ve learned that when choosing products to use on your body, you should be able to read and understand what the label says. In other words, if you can’t pronounce the words on the back of the label, just put it back!
Stick with all-natural ingredients that are good for your skin and have been known to naturally reduce symptoms of skin irritations due to allergens. We’ve carefully researched and chosen each of the ingredients in our products for your benefit as we believe these particular ingredients will nourish your skin like no other skincare product you've tried before.
Washing Sensitive Skin
While all of the soaps we make here at Bend Soap Company are created using a limited number of high-quality ingredients (fresh goat’s milk from our own goats, olive oil, red palm oil, and coconut oil, and essential oils added to some bars for added scent), we’ve developed a few soaps that are cleansing, gentle, free of essential oils, and perfect for people who have sensitive skin.Our Oatmeal & Honey Goat Milk Soap is free of any essential oils and is one of our most popular scents of goat milk soap to date. The grains of oats and real honey are the true stars in this bar of soap as they both offer a robust variety of benefits for sensitive skin. If you’re allergic or sensitive to essential oils our Unscented Goat Milk Soap is another essential oil free soap we make that’s extremely gentle, making it a perfect option for those who can’t risk adding any additional ingredients to their sensitive skin.
Not much of a shower person and prefer a long, luxurious soak in the tub? Or maybe you’re looking for an all-natural bubble bath replacement for your kiddos who have sensitive skin conditions? Whatever the reason, our milk bath is for you. Containing shredded curls of our bars of goat milk soap, our milk bath offers all of the same benefits as our bars of goat milk soap, but is conveniently used in the bath as an all-natural bubble bath. Just like our bars of goat milk soap, our Oatmeal & Honey Milk Bath and Unscented Milk Bath are two of our most popular scents for folks who suffer from sensitive skin related issues.Here’s how we suggest using our milk bath product:
- Add 1-2 handfuls of the milk bath curls to a warm bath and watch the water turn a milky white.
- Once in the bath, soak for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Gently rub your skin and allow the goat milk soap to reach all areas of your body.
- And, if you want to see something amazing, turn those jets on. Within a few moments, you will be up to your chin in suds!
As with all of our goat milk soap products, you won’t find any chemicals, alcohols, synthetic ingredients, dyes, harsh allergens… No junk! What you will find are products that are packed with vitamins, minerals, and moisturizers and leave your skin clean, soft, and hydrated.
Exfoliating Sensitive Skin
Our sugar scrubs are the perfect solution to rid yourself of dry, flaky skin on your body and face without submitting yourself to GMO oils like soybean, canola, and vegetable oils found in most commercial body scrubs. The real sugar granules gently buffs away dead skin cells, allowing the blend of nourishing oils we use to penetrate deep into the layers of skin beneath. While all of our sugar scrubs make your skin soft, supple, and exfoliated, our Unscented Sugar Scrub is an ideal option for folks who are sensitive to fragrance and essential oils yet still want their skin to feel silky smooth.Even more, you can use our sugar scrub over your entire body－ on your arms, legs, hands, feet, even on your face － to bring new life to tired, dry skin (yes, even cracked feet!) Our sugar scrub often leaves your now hydrated skin so soft that you feel no need to use lotion after (even though we highly suggest that you don’t skip this step!)
Hydrating Sensitive Skin
Whenever you step out of the bath or shower, coat your skin with our non-greasy Unscented Goat Milk Lotion to lock any additional hydration into your skin and experience all-day moisture. Spend an extra 20 seconds during this step to ensure that the lotion is thoroughly massaged into your skin and give it a few extra minutes to dry before apply your clothes.
We’ve found that many people are making the switch to our Unscented Goat Milk Lotion because it doesn’t contain any chemicals, alcohols, odors, dyes, GMO oils, synthetic fragrances, or any other form of irritant. Made with goat’s milk, shea butter, and aloe vera, our all-natural lotion is hypoallergenic yet nourishing, making it gentle enough to use on sensitive skin and silky enough for the spa. You can even use our goat milk lotion on your entire body － face included!
For those who have sensitive skin but don’t shower every day, note that it’s still important to moisturize certain parts of your body on a daily basis like as your face, hands, and feet as these are typically areas that are exposed to the elements and can benefit from the added moisture. To not overuse your lotion, consider adding a lotion pump to your bottle for accurate dispensing each time you apply.
Defending Sensitive Skin
We’re proud to offer two varieties of our natural deodorant that cater to the needs of those who have sensitivities to baking soda; our Apricot Jasmine Natural Deodorant (Baking Soda Free) and Honey Grapefruit Natural Deodorant (Baking Soda Free).
These non-aluminum deodorants aren’t only baking soda free and made using natural ingredients, but are also extremely effective at fighting odor and keeping you fresh throughout the day. And, we can’t forget about keeping our lips healthy and supple, which is why we made our Unscented Lip Butter －our solution to lip balms that dry out your lips instead of protecting and hydrating them!
Give it a Try!
For many people out there, switching to skincare products that are made with a limited number of high-quality ingredients without any additional scents or fragrances can make a world of a difference between sensitive skin and skin that’s soft, moisturized, and healthy. And while our goat milk soaps and other natural skincare products are not a cure for sensitive skin conditions, for our family, and as well as for hundreds of our customers, our all-natural skincare products were more soothing and less irritating than alternative skin care products.
Curious? Try it for yourself. We’re confident your skin will love it!